Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Kam's

Spending my teens and 20's in San Francisco spoiled me in many ways. For example, I grew up thinking that everyone made Chinese food exactly the way it was made in Chinatown. Leaving San Francisco was a reality jolt in that respect. Since then I have not had good Chinese food anywhere, save a few weekend getaways to NYC.

When I spotted this Chinese restaurant on a walk up Montrose, I did not initially warm to the idea of eating there. I think it was post traumatic stress disorder from one too many Chinese meals in Dallas that were too oily, too salty and in short -- just bad. But I found myself weeks later reading about that very restaurant in a Houston foodie rag. Stellar reviews. Best Chinese for 10 years running. The Chinese co-workers raved. I felt pressured, they must know something I don't, so I tried it.

It must be the year of the its-about-damn-time. Finally, after years of choking down dull-witted, Pei Wei-esque interpretations of Chinese dishes, I am happy to report that I've found not just good, but excellent Chinese food. In Houston, its called Kam's.


Mommie Coolest Approved Dining


Litmus tests of Mongolian Beef and General Tso's Chicken were excellent, flavorful without the mediocre-chef technique of over oiling and over soysaucing. But the real gems here are the Shrimp and Scallops in Basil Sauce and a rouge vietnamese staple, Bo Luc Lac, which is a savory-sweet beef fillet, cubed and grilled, served with salt, pepper and lime.

Kam's is relatively small so its best to go off peak, say at 1115am or 130p for lunch or anytime after 830p for dinner. Parking is scant and wildly difficult to navigate, so you are better off parking on the side streets east of Montrose and crossing over.

Kams
4500 Montrose Boulevard
Houston, TX 77006-5842
713.529.5057

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home