Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Sunday, June 26, 2005

Freakshow - Date3 Update

Over the cold episode, car is operational, upstairs is cool. Lets get onto this Date3 thing and see what its all about.

Date3 decides that we should do dinner at Cafe Istanbul, nice, Turkish food is in my Top 3 flavors.

Date3: "I'll come pick you up since its on my way."

So Date3 arrives. I've made some Moscow Mules, since Date3 has heard about them but never tried. We talk, we drink and inbetween I am finishing up some laundry (now that it is cool enough to go upstairs :)

Date3: "Mind if I smoke?"

Me: "No, just do it outside, my head is still a little congested."

Date3: "Ah, well thats ok, I'll wait till later, I just really like one with a drink."

Me: "Totally understand. I'll be right back I'm just going put some clothes in the dryer."

While I'm upstairs I hear this sniffing sound. But its not the I have allergies sniff its more like one big long sniff. Hmmm, wonder what that is about? I think I already know. Now, what to say in a situation like this? I fiddle around for a little while longer with my laundry ... thinking. I must be witty but still make my point effectively.

Sure enough Date3 has turned my mirrored coffee table into a cocaine sniffing station.

Date3: "Want some?"

Yes, I did think it was weird that smoking would require prior permission but cocaine wouldn't.

Me: "Umm, no. And I'm going to have to ask you to move your car.

Date3: "Oh ..... ok, why?"

Me: "Because you're leaving. "

Yeah, I know it was a cheap Julia Sugarbaker ripoff but I've always wanted to say that to someone. And now I had the perfect opportunity. This night is turning out to be fun afterall :)

Date3: "What?"

Me: "Look, you seem nice and all but coming over to someone's house and using their coffe table to coke up is just not cool. FYI, I don't do any drugs."

Date3: "Oh, Jim, I'm sorry, I really didnt mean any disrespect."

Hmm, calm and sincere.

Me: "I didn't notice any but this is not socially acceptable."

Date3: "Again no disrespect but don't you find that a little polyanna?"

Me: "No, actually I don't. Polyanna means unjustifiably optimistic. Frankly of the thousands of people I've met in my life you are the first to do this im my house. That you assume this is ok to do defines you as unjustifiably optimistic."

Date3: "Oh, its acceptable in my circle of friends."

Date3 really was very apologetic and I think sincerely suprised. But this tells me alot about Date3's world.

Me: "I think we travel in incompatible circles."

Date3: "So, I guess this is a deal breaker?"

Me: "Yes"

Date3: "Could we still have dinner?"

Me: "You know, I dont think so. When I get to know someone I like to get to know the real person, not the person on some drug. Whats the point of that? Its a waste of my time."

Date3: "I guess I see your point, I never thought about it like that."

I'm thinking - You never thought about that? You're 30, how could you NOT?

Me: "You have a good night."

Off went Date3, still looking a little confused but not upset, smiling and waving while walking to the street.

I think even with the incompatibility that the night was good. The discussion was mature and we discovered early on that there is no reason to continue; this is what the dating game is all about.

I didn't delete Date3's info, I like the fact that we could discuss things maturely with no hurt feelings. Maybe we'll be friends later, maybe not, who knows but there are more important things to think about.

Dallas is a perpetual freakshow but at least it makes for disposable entertainment for my friends. Sadly that was the best date of the last 3 ... lol.

I went to Cafe Istanbul solo, which is always fun, seriously. Those Turks will not leave you alone if you are by yourself, I think its cultural or something. I had my favorite - Istanbul doner. I smiled and nodded alot during diner, its all I could do, I never understand a damn word coming out of those Turks mouths.

There is something rewarding about being happy ... by yourself.

3 Comments:

Blogger M said...

OMG - that is too damn crazy - who the hell would just pull out cocaine and start doing it on the coffee table in someones apt.

that is so funny that he has to ask to smoke but thinks cocaine is acceptable.

damn - how pathetic

but at least there was no big scene or anything -

Jim - did you notice my latest post about Julia Sugarbaker

I think we are on the same wavelength today.

Read my posts and her Tirades - you will notice a familiar line in there :-)

10:54 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

And actually I lied to Date3, it has happened before. Do I have a sign on my back that says Coke Head? lol

12:47 AM

 
Blogger Brettcajun said...

This was the funniest story I have read in some time! I love your sense of humor.

9:12 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home