Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Salmon, Berry Salsa

Now that I have more than 5 minutes a day to cook, I am doing exactly that. Here is one of my new favorites.


Salmon with Berry Salsa


Salsa
1 Cucumber, finely chopped
1 Yellow Bell Pepper, finely chopped
3 Green Onions, finely chopped
1 Serrano Pepper, finely chopped
1 T Cilantro, finely chopped
4 T Rice Wine Vinegar
1 C Blueberries, chopped
1 C Strawberries, chopped
1/2 t Black Pepper

Sauce
1/2 Stick Butter
3 Cloves Garlic, chopped
2 T Soy Sauce
1 T Honey
2 t Lemon Juice
1 t Lime Juice
1/2 t Black Pepper

4 Salmon Fillets



1) Mix salsa ingredients, except berries, in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours. Before serving mix in berries.

2) In a saucepan melt butter and garlic over low heat. Stir in remaining sauce ingredients and cook for 5 minutes.

3) Prepare grill and brush sauce on both sides of salmon. Place rack about 4 inches above coals and grill fish for 5 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily. Baste with sauce after each turn and again when done. You could also oven bake at 400 for 10-14 minutes.

4) Serve with salsa.

10 Comments:

Blogger A Bear in the Woods said...

I love the mango salsa, but I haven't tried it with the berries. Sounds excellent.

12:46 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

It is Daniel, I made an extra batch for tortilla chips :)

4:14 PM

 
Blogger steve'swhirlyworld said...

Okay...I got the "Steve, you should lose 10 lbs" talk today from my doctor...annual physical. So, I just finished a brisk walk and now I see your very healthy looking recipe...can you turn me on to more healthy eating recipes? Do you know of websites? I need quick and healthy or a personal chef!!! Okay, a personal trainer, and cleaning person too! LOL.

10:24 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Steve, congrats on the 10 lb lossage! I usually pull recipies from my head but you could check out recipesource.com

LOL, I'll keep an eye out for a personal chef-trainer-cleaner! :)

10:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sounds great. My housemate and I love salmon, and I'm always looking for different ways to prepare it. I'm definitely going to try this!

11:15 PM

 
Blogger JC said...

We make a Peach Chipotle when the squirrels don't eat all the peaches...dang cats, need to not feed them so much so they will chase off the squirrels, but it is really good on Pork Chops. I will have to hunt up the recipe - we didn't have any peaches this year so no salsa - boo squirrels!

...but I have loved salmon since the first time I had it back in 72 on Fisherman's Wharf in S.F. - family vacation with a lot of good and fun memories, salmon is just one of them!

11:24 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Enjoy Thom! Keep a bag od Scoops on hand for the leftovers :)

7:26 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

JC: Peach Chipotle sounds great! Funny, of the thousands of meals I had in the 14 years I lived in SF, the clam chowder they serve in sourdough bread bowls off the piers sticks in mind the most :)

7:40 AM

 
Blogger john said...

Salmon is the only type of fish I like to eat.

10:06 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

You picked a good one John, good cholesterol balancing oils.

11:05 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home