Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Saturday, December 30, 2006

All Things

I do most of my non-technical reading while I'm in the air. Here is one I read while flying from Atlanta to Savannah (45 minutes, so its a quick read).




Let me give you the summary - Dude dies and in "heaven", 5 people he encountered while alive show him the importance of his life on earth.

I've read gobs of books like this one, usually falling neatly into the bucket of "Buddhism for the curious". Written in a typically Christian tone, it still had the familiar texture of the Buddhist belief that your soul is evaluated after you die and only then do you learn why you lived this life.

The author's style is smooth, weaving believable characters and imagery into a digestable, weighty story. The story of the seemingly ordinary man living a life of almost banal quality does a neat perspective alteration trick, leaving you feeling in awe of the power he had to change the course of events in the lives of the five people he meets in heaven.

In Buddhist tradition, books like this, these life-answering, what-is-the-nature-of all-things books, are not to be kept. After reading them, you give them away to the first person who comes to mind. If you get this in the mail, I was thinking of you.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger ~r. said...

I have to say, Tuesdays with Morrie was a disappointing book. Morrie was self-aggrandizing from what I gathered, and chapters were too short and sweet to really get into it.

I know you didnt review this book, but for that reason I would want to stay away from this author.

That said, I havent read in a while. You remind me I have to get to the library. :)

9:11 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Hi Rachel,

I havent read that Tuesdays with Morrie, and maybe now I dont have to, but I liked this one. I wouldn't rush out to buy it, its not going into my library but it was entertaining in a reflective way for 45 minutes.

2:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll have to look into this one. Sometimes the short ones make more of an impact.

Have a Happy and safe New Years!!
*Hugs*

8:08 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

I think so too Jason. Happy New Year to you!

7:26 AM

 
Blogger steve'swhirlyworld said...

I enjoyed this book and I also saw In pursuit of Happyness while I was in Louisiana - I loved the movie.

Happy New Year Jim!

10:14 AM

 
Blogger purpletwinkie said...

Happy New Year :)

1:50 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Steve, glad you enjoyed both and Happy New Year to you too!

3:37 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Happy New Year Scott!

3:37 PM

 
Blogger ryan charisma said...

Funny,

I didn't receive your copy of the book in my mail yet.

NYC mail must be slow this time of year.

9:58 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Ryan, I'm thinking your mailperson kept it. (Oh, the corruption! :)

1:45 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home