Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Monday, December 10, 2007

The Phoenix Trick

Kevin Costner was really great at some point, the 90's I think. The early 90's. Afterwards he kind of morphed himself into the patron saint of all things razzie. I walked past his latest a few times in the video store thinking, no, there is no way even-tempered, patient, reflective Costner is going to pull off a serial killer. But its exactly those qualities that make him a good one.

I was blown away by Costner's disturbingly calm and detailed portrayal of the "man of the year" with a secret. His ever-present alter ego, egging him on in Fight Club manner, was also expertly acted by William Hurt. Even the oddly cast Dane Cook does a great job as a sloppy, greedy serial killer in training.

The Costner/Hurt team execute their fatal craft in a suspenseful and sometimes darkly comedic way. That is definitely enough to keep you interested. But there's more, much more. There are plot twists that no one in their right mind could possibly predict. Whoever wrote the script was a sincerely twisted soul. I would like to thank them for that.

Mr. Brooks may not be on an award wining level like Dances With Wolves but IMHO its certainly brought Costner screaming out of obscurity.




Mr. Brooks
9.0/10

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Costner Factor.
I too have steered clear of this one because of Kevin. I may just need to check this one out now.

P.S. Go see "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead". It's a 10 for sure!

9:35 PM

 
Blogger Michael said...

I liked his older work, but Robin Hood and Dances with Head up his Butt (er, Wolves) just turned me off.

I thought that No Way Out was a great thriller. Late 80s, I think.

11:50 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Jason, that is one I keep meaning to see along with "No Country For Old Men".

I think you'll like Mr Brooks!

6:18 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Michael, I liked "No Way Out" too, that was from his good era, 1987 or so. Mr Brooks is a thriller like that one but much more creepy!

6:21 AM

 
Blogger john said...

Wow, I haven't heard anything about Costner as of late. I haven't really thought of him as a brilliant actor, but then again these mostly unadvertised films are those that really bring out the brilliance in the actor.

10:50 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Right John, he hasnt been anything lately but hes great in this one. Funny, I dont even remember Mr Brroks being in theatres, maybe it was during one of my moves.

8:22 PM

 
Blogger carl r said...

There are movies creepier than "No Way Out?"

Wow.

I'm not a Costner fan, though. I'll stick with my sci-fi geekiness, and go see "The Mist."

9:50 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Way creepier Carl! Oh, I heard The Mist was pretty good, I have it on my list, my growing list, that I will try to get to after my 12/15 deadline at work.

6:43 PM

 
Blogger carl r said...

Jim:
Susan and I went out to the movies on the weekend, and saw "The Mist."

I won't ruin it for you, but it was a whole lot creepier than "No Way Out."

And almost as good as the book, too.

3:06 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Thanks Carl! Since I haven't read the book and noone has told me any of the plot, it will be a complete surprise to me.

6:36 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home