Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Bible Quotin' Killer

Not a huge fan of the Western but this one came recommended by everyone. Its a remake of the same name from 50 years ago. I'm very surprised to say it was one of my favorite movies of 2007. The filming is excellent, the directing is tight with great use of pause for emotional tension. The acting, well, what can I say, I really think Christian Bale is turning into the De Niro of my generation. But, the show stealer is totally Ben Foster as the bad guy loyalist with some of best delivery of dark humor around.

Typical good vs. evil and the struggle to do the right thing themes throughout, although some scenes keep you guessing which side the characters will choose. I thought I had the story figured out but the end was a little bit of a departure, although a quite a welcomed one.



3:10 To Yuma
10/10

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the last western I watched was, "Unforgiven" years ago. I really liked it. I'll have to check this one out. It went under the radar a bit, but with Christian and Russell not really sure how I missed this one! Thanks again for your reviews!

7:36 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

They are both great in this one Jason, enjoy!

6:10 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn’t like this one; throughout the movie I was mumbling “yeah right” the whole time. Not realistic enough for me, neither the shooting nor the characters decisions seemed real. There are so many life dilemmas, this kind of bad guy is good just doesn’t work.
Marnina

1:06 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Hi cousin!

I can believe you reacted this way considering you deal with the criminal element every day!

I'm curious to hear how you liked (or didnt like) Budapest!

10:41 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home