Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Coenization

IHMO, brothers Joel and Ethan Coen are two of the best writers in the film industry. I've been waiting for them to follow up to their somewhat disappointing Ladykillers and sure enough they have. And this one is much better than Ladykillers, even better than Fargo.

Its not a stretch that this one will snag awards. I mean its only been out for a short time and already it has been voted one of the top 20 movies of all time. OF ALL TIME.

I loved this film because it had the Coen's trademark humor under gravely serious circumstances. I also loved the performances by all three of the leads: Javier Bardem, Josh Brolin and Tommy Lee Jones.

No doubt Javier Bardem will snag an award as the very unnerving serial killer who plagues small-town West Texas. Its truly the best performance he has given to date. Although I have to say I was equally impressed with Josh Brolin, who stumbles onto the path of the serial killer and tries to track him. I think Brolin should always talk in a West Texas drawl, wear boots and carry a gun; I like him like that. Tommy Lee as the small-town sheriff on the case is completely in his element; he really has some of the best lines too.

I heard rumors that this film was very violent. I didn't think so. In fact, I found it less gruesome than some of the tamer episodes of Sopranos. I think it implies way more sinister activity than it shows, maybe that is what people are talking about.

The action is very tense when its on, the writing is phenomenal and the pace is tight but not breakneck. Definitely this one will appeal to film goers wanting a visceral experience.


Josh Brolin


No Country For Old Men
10/10

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was a good one!

Javier is so hot, and when did Brolin get so hunky? Wasn't he a Goonie?

I slightly liked "When the Devil Knows You're Dead" more. Still waiting for "There Will Be Blood" to get here.

7:57 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

LOL, good memory Jason. Yes, he was one of the Goonies. I think I like him better as the W. Texas cowboy.

6:32 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home