Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Sunday, January 20, 2008

The Cheese To My Macaroni

I remember being completely creeped out by her in Hard Candy, not a film I particularly liked. But everyone I know loved Ellen Page in this, so HEU Tara and I went to investigate.

Some people complained that this film was advocating teen pregnancy. Did I see the same film? I'm not sure how they came to that conclusion. I just saw it as taking a situation like teen pregnancy, bringing it out into the open (you know, since its a reality and all) and giving the situation a possible outcome.

We loved it. If you were moved to see the likes of Napolean Dynamite and Superbad, just think of this as a more intelligent version with faster, wittier dialogue. There are so many memorable one-liners, like the post title, that I will probably buy this one just to remember them all.


Unlike other teen-based comedies, I thought the characters were balanced and their actions weren't too over-the-top. The situation is believable, with the possible exception of the parents reacting so calmly to their 16-year daughter getting pregnant. I laughed continuously but there were some serious, well-placed moments of drama and reflection.

Yay for the return of the offbeat indie comedy!



(we also like the venue, The Magnolia, because we could drink wine while watching the movie!)


Juno
9.5/10

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger ryan charisma said...

See,

I'm gonna have to say, this movie doesn't interest me. In the same way that "Knocked Up" didn't interest me. One abortion, and there's no need for this insanity.

So, I won't go see this, for I don't care about girls who don't use protection. Nor do I care if they've ruined thier lives by choosing to keep 'said baby' - a la Jamie Lynn Spears.

So, sure it's cute, funny and has great performances. Just bring me a coathanger or a knitting needle and I can make this a short film for you.

8:35 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Ryan, I think you could still live a full life without seeing Juno :)

7:20 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I finally caught this one. What a great movie. Her humor just cracked my stuff up. I downloaded the soundtrack- great music as well!

7:49 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Oh yeah Jason, the soundtrack, it was really good too! I know it wont win best picture (since its a comedy) but I will still pull for it :)

6:29 PM

 
Blogger john said...

I've heard good things about this movie!!

10:11 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

It was great John, hope you get to see it!

6:34 PM

 
Blogger steve'swhirlyworld said...

HARD CANDY! That's where I saw her before! OMG, that movie was so disturbing, I had to get up and walk away from it for a while.

7:16 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

I'm with you Steve, her character was creepy. As was the premise of the film!

6:15 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home