Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Get Me A Fucking Tissue!

Blog space is just as small as any other. I got an email tonight with the subject line "Greetings from a friend of Jeff's in Chicago". If you ever wonder why I write about HIV, I mean, I know it isnt a popular topic, this should clear things up. Let me just cut and paste.

Jim,

My friend Jeff gave me your blog and email address, he said you wouldn't mind, so I hope that is true. I have enjoyed your blog over the past month and I'm still catching up on some past articles.

Since our tastes in film are similar, I choose to let you do the investigation, I simply follow by renting your choices. I am a lazy bastard.

Your dating articles are funny as hell, they remind me of situations I have been through! I'm glad I'm not the only magnet for odd people.

I have tried and enjoyed your Grad Grub entries.

The cocktail recipes are unbelievably good, thank you for those.

Most of all, thank you for taking a leap and writing entertainingly and informatively about HIV. As a 22 year survivor of this virus I sometimes feel the issue has been shoved to the back of the closet. I was very encouraged to hear in an earlier message that they are now teaching whole classes on HIV and that your HIV class was full. I'm even more encouraged to hear about the new generation CCR5 inhibitors. Something to discuss with the doc on my next visit.

Having been part of many clinical trials and the subject of much poking and proding in the name of science, I can add that there is another possibility in list of research efforts. I don't understand the inner workings of cell but apparently I have killer t cells that are very effective at keeping the virus under control, my count is consistently over 500. I am not of European descent and I am not an African prostitute (just a former Chicago ho, thank you). Have they talked about this in your class? Please let me know, I am more than curious.


I have to say my favorite story so far was "Dressing God In Versace". I cried like a bitch but it was inspiring to know that your friend Johnny lives on through your writing. We should all be so lucky.

Keep on!

Later, Tom

I bet you're glad I didn't post all of this as a comment =)


I am not going to cry dammit ! :-) LOL

I know I already said in email but since I know you will read this, thanks again Tom, I do appreciate it.

And, Tom makes a good point.

So T(killer) cells come in flavors, each flavor is for a particular piece of crap like a flu virus. Each person will have T(killer) cells that operate at different levels of efficiency. (This is due to a buttload of factors that could take up pages). Lets say I have flu T(killer) cells that are 80% effective and I never get a really bad flu, it just feels like a head cold. Where as say, my buddy Matt has flu T(killer) cells that are only 40% effective and he winds up in bed for two weeks wishing he could be put on total sensory deprivation drugs.

This is also true for the T(killer) cells that are directed to HIV. There are some people that have T(killer) cells that can arm wrestle the virus for an indefinite amount of time. Like Tom, after 22 years of infection he still maintains a T(helper) count of 500+ which is incredible and rare.


Go Tom, Kick HIV in the ass!


4 Comments:

Blogger hbjock said...

Hey man, great blog you have here.. I just did the right thing and got myself tested last week after about a year... and negative results.. woo hoo!

Anyway, keep up the posting!

10:09 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Thanks Mr!

Good job, proud of ya. Glad everything turned out too!

11:38 PM

 
Blogger hbjock said...

Thanks ;) I was getting really worried because I've been sick with the cold and congestion a lot lately... and I had done a really REALLY dumb thing by barebacking for a guy back in December... so well I was a little concerned.. but everything came back negative... whew!

BTW, thanks for the comment on the hotties.. I know some of them look like they don't have brains huh? Then again you never know.. I've met a few muscle heads that have Masters degrees!! Heheh.

4:56 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Whew, good, I'm glad you escaped the silly error in judgement without a scratch! Sometimes a cold is just that :)

I know, some of the muscle heads I've known have been very intelligent. But,I have met some that are as dumb as a brick ... lol.

9:33 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home