Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Thursday, June 30, 2005

Musical Retrograde

I lived through the music of the 70's and 80's, some I liked and some I didn't. I have a chunk of my collection is from that era but I like the new stuff to come out in the 2000's.

What fascinates me about the 20-something people that I know through school and otherwise is that they are deep into 70's and 80's music. For instance, I am at school last night a little early, sitting in the library, listening to my MP3 player, reading a little Cell Biology. I had just recently downloaded The Eagles, Best Of. Funny, I can still remember all of the words to "Take It To The Limit" and "Hotel California". One of my classmates, John, plops down at the table with me and picks up my player and screams.

"Oh man, The Eagles, I love them!"

John is 22, he was born in 1983. The Eagles heyday was mostly the mid to late 70's, they stopped churning out hits when he was in diapers. I'm thinking, OK, his parents must have played this and he remembers it from them.

He hands me his iPod, "Here look at my collection, maybe we can swap!"

Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, Earth Wind and Fire, B52s, Gogo's, Foghat, wow. The only current music I saw was Coldplay and Interpol. I dont get it, my generation couldnt stand older music.

I'm curious, "So whats with the 70's and 80's fascination?"

John, "Come on, all the music from my generation is crap! You were lucky to be around back then when music was good, man, youre like history, walking!"

Ok, Im not sure I like that ... lol.

But come to think of it when I have gatherings at my place I tend to play a lot of 70's/80's music interspersed with new. Usually the 20-somethings know the old stuff better than the new. Interesting.

Has the earth entered a musical retrograde?

2 Comments:

Blogger hbjock said...

You know, he's right... I hate to say it, but the music these days in general sucks out the ass. I really like the music of the 70s and 80s because it was more "music" than the tunes nowadays.. and everything you hear today is basically a rehash of something in the 70s or 80s... And well, back then, when you talked about sensitive subjects like sex and relationships, everything was more "suggestive" and up for interpretation. These days, people are just up front and flat out vulgar about shit. Where's the artistic composition in that? =)

Now having said that... I have to say that I'm incredibly honored in regards to your comment about my chant. I never really fancied myself as a poet really.. so to get such a deep amount of praise from someone like you... well, I am flat out flabbergasted and honored! And I feel even more honored that you would receive my words as a birthday present. I don't kow what to say anymore...

6:22 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Thats a good point, there are alot of remakes from that era. I remember "Its my life" way before No Doubt :) I do agree with you about the lyric quality becoming more blunt, its walking arm in arm with the rest of society.

You deserve all the praise you received for the chant, its the best encapsulation of that moment that I have read!

10:44 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home