Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Late Night Rationalizing

I think we all do this, I know I have -- You do a dumbass thing with absolutely no forthought and then two days later you think yourself into a good reason why you did the dumbass thing. Example: I tell people who I dont know that I moved to Dallas for the good opportunities in real estate and the solid job base. Sounds reasonable doesnt it? Noone can argue with the logic. Well, the truth is I was on my way to Manhattan from Houston but stopped in Dallas for a really high paying contract. Hell, I only had $800 to my name, what was I thinking trying to move to the most expensive city in the US! Oh well, I was young and immortal at that time! I fully intended to move to Manhattan afterwards but it just never happened. Believe me, real estate and good job base never entered my mind. I was thinking yay -- bigger city, more interesting people, restaurants at 3am, woohoo! Forget about how I was going to pay for all that ... lol.

Now Date3 is doing the same thing. As I'm walking back to my car after class, I check my cell. Hmm, 2 messages. One is afriend from Florida, 11:30 his time, too late to call him back. The other is from Date3. Interesting. So I listen to the message.

Date3: "Just calling to say hey. I know you're a late night person so give me a holler when you get back from class. I'll be up until 2 or so."

Ok, lets test that theory.

I come home, eat, do a little reading, then at 1am I call Date3 back.

Me: "Hey I got your message, sorry for calling you back so late."

Date3: "Not late at all its only 1am. So how was class?"

Some idle chit chat then ...

Date3: "I wanted to explain about the other night."

LOL, this should be good.

Date3: "I guess I did that, well, you know, that socially unacceptable thing since you know those people and you know, they are all into that too. So, you know, I just thought it would be like no big deal."

Backing up and in all fairness this is somewhat plausible. When I was at Cafe Brazil I was eating lunch by myself when a random bar buddy comes from another table and starts yapping. I can't ever remember his name since I only see him when I go out and it could be a span of 6 months from the last time. So random bar dude asks me to join his table and I do. This is how I meet Date3. I don't really know any of the people at the table but I recognize most of them from bar hopping. They are fun people in a disposable way and they are always very nice to me. But, they are immature and irresponsible so I limit them to bar interaction. Definitely they are drug users, I think one of them is a dealer but I can't be certain. Not a big deal, I can eat the rest of my salad with them and chat for 30 minutes, they are always good for a few laughs.

Me: "You've been conjuring up that rationalization for 2 days havent you? LOL"

Date3: " Yeah, totally, did it work?"

Me: "Ok, I can believe it a little but still you understand my position on this matter."

Date3: "Yes, crystal clear."

Me: "Good."

Date3: "So when can we go to Cafe Istanbul?"

Me: "Are you not paying attention?"

Date3: "I am, you said getting to know someone on a drug was a waste of time, I agree. So next time I wont be. That seems fair, doesnt it?"

Me: "Fair, but you understand we do not operate in compatible circles."

Date3: "I think you are judging me in the same unfair way that I was judging you."

Dammit, I hate it when people make good points and I have no comeback.

Me: "Ok, good point."

Date3: "I'll see you Friday then."

Me: "Ok, but you are paying."

Date3: "Of course, I asked"

Me: "Good, I have very expensive eating patterns."

Date3: "You don't scare me. Honestly, I like the fact that you are outspoken and dealt with the situation quickly, most people would not have chosen that method."

Me: "I'm not like most people."

Date3: "I know! So, we are done with this one issue and dont have to talk about it anymore?" (Laughing)

Me: "Yes, good idea, I'd hate to have to verbally flay you again." (Laughing)

Date3: "I might like that." (Sarcastic)

Me: "I'm hanging up now."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home