Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Friday, January 05, 2007

Christmas 2006

I finally uploaded pictures from Christmas and New Years, only a little over a week's lag.

This year we converged on my parents in Savannah rather than going to my sister's house in Cincinatti. It was a great trip, if only because this was the first year I had no travel drama at all: no lines, no delays, no miscommunications. Since it was so warm for most of the visit, my sister and I went for really long walks around the island; she is preparing to run a marathon, which is really amazing considering she had heart surgery a few years back.

I noticed this year that my nieces, 5 and 8, are still kids, witness the use of my dad as the propelling force in a round of floor surfing, but they are starting to grow up. I'm pretty sure my older niece has the Santa thing figured out but she is still playing along. I'm sure she does this to make us adults happy. The younger niece, while watching my dad (as Santa) delivering presents under the tree, turned and asked my sister "Don't you think Santa sounds alot like Grandpa?". Well, what do you say to that. It looks like my dad's career as Santa may be coming to end soon.



Floor Surfing with Grandpa


Christmas morning I was the first one up. The person that gets up first in our family has the pleasure of barging into the rooms of the sleeping, jumping on their beds and jolting them out of a nice, deep sleep. My sister and bro-in-law were particularly pleased with their awakenings, considering the volume of wine they had the night before :)



Christmas Morning, post present opening


Christmas dinner was different this year, sister and I made a large selection of tapas. I liked the format better than huge amounts of turkey, ham and twice baked stuffed potatoes! Did the Sweet Potato soup as a start and everyone really liked it, there's something about the super buttery rosemary croutons that has general appeal :)

My dad's golden always gets freaked out during the holidays, she cant stand for anything new to be in the house. When she sees something that doesnt belong she sits down and barks at it until you move it. You can imagine with all of the decorations and presents that she was beside herself at every turn.


Maggie, taking a barking break

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger steve'swhirlyworld said...

Thanks for sharing the great pics and family Christmas stories. Poor Maggie...too much drama for her, huh? Perhaps a good muscle relaxer would be good for her?
My 8 year old nephew is kinda on the fence with Santa...I think this is the last year for him. He's probably going along with it b/c he's affraid that it would end if we knew he didn't believe.

7:26 PM

 
Blogger suzy said...

Maggie looks like she is overwhelmed. She must have it so tough!
When I asked my mother if there was a Santa or not, all she told me was that if I stopped believing, he stopped leaving presents. To this day, I still get a present from Santa.
Thanks for the great pictures!

11:00 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Steve, I think I stopped at about 8 too but I pretended to keep believing because I didnt want to ruin it for my little sister (6 years younger).

Maggie has personality, I think she tries to warn everyone that there is something foriegn in the house! :)

6:45 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Suzy, there is some incentive to keep believing :) Yes, Maggie certainly expends alot of effort warning the whole family about the evil Christmas gnome in the hallway!

6:52 AM

 
Blogger purpletwinkie said...

Looks like a very nice time :)

My grandmother informed me that Santa was not real...horrible.

12:59 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Boo on grandma, Scott! :)

7:41 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the photo of the two girls holding on for dear life.
Maggie is a cutie. I heart golden retrievers.

3:06 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

I heart goldens too Jason, esp. Maggie, she has character!

3:27 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home