Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Monday, May 28, 2007

Jew On




Israel, here I come. Actually, here we come. HEU Tara will be joining me on my trip over the pond. It kind of came as a surprise to me that she would be interested, but she is. So much so that she has been learning Hebrew. Although I'm sure her MO is more to meet a nice Jewish boy, I'm not going to mention it, lol.

I'm really looking forward to seeing my family, most of whom I haven't seen in a decade, some I have never met.

It will also be fascinating to see the country itself. I realized in planning that there is no way to see even a fraction of the sights in the 9 days I will be there. So, we are limiting the tour to Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, Dead Sea and some hiking in the Negev.

I am hoping to feel some sort of connection to Israel considering half of my family comes from the region. I did not feel that connection when in England (another part of the family). And I have still not made it to Russia or Germany.

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

Blogger JC said...

Godspeed, have a safe trip.
hopefully things will stay quite while you are there so you can enjoy all that 'milk and honey'.

12:28 AM

 
Blogger Michael said...

Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, Dead Sea and some hiking in the Negev.

For s short trip, sounds like you're going to see a lot.

Have an easy flight, a good visit with the relatives, and don't worry about the connection to the land; you'll feel it: for us Jews, it's in our blood.

2:29 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Thanks JC! I plan on enjoying it despite what may happen.

8:12 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Michael,

I know its a short trip but it gives me good reason to come back. (If only for the parasailing in Eilat)

8:16 AM

 
Blogger WomanHonorThyself said...

N'siah Tova!..which means have a great trip!..You will fall in love with Jerusalem!

8:25 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

That's what I've heard! Good thing I have family living just north of J'lem :)

2:47 PM

 
Blogger WomanHonorThyself said...

hey thanks for visiting my humble abode...please come again!

3:12 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

But of course I will! :)

10:45 PM

 
Blogger Michael said...

Of course you have a reason to come back, Jim: you've left out the whole Galilee, and the Golan...

8:18 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Right Michael, and Haifa and the whole Red Sea region. Plus I really doubt I can scratch the surface of Jerusalem in 3 days!

5:39 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, you have a great but safe trip there. I've always been interested in Israel. It will be cool to hear about it through your adventures. I'm heading to Germany for Christmas and Prague for New Years. We're just a bunch of traveling bloggers :)

7:21 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Fun for you both, Jason! I feel confident you will bring back an interesting report with your slick brand of photography!

I have always been interested in both Prague and Germany. My Dad's side of the family is rooted in Germany (and England and Russia) so I feel compelled to visit there someday!

7:38 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a safe trip!!
Let us know how it goes!!

12:45 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Thanks John Michael, I will!

8:37 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Be sweet! I just read this...I can't ever remember having a vacation hook up. I didn't even look twice at all the gents in Japan. :o) I am just a sucker for any trip that includes a local tour guide - so i guess i am just using you....

HEUT

9:54 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home