Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

¡Cállate!

Hey, can anyone tell me that word in Spanish that means "person who talks big but nothing important, reasonable or even intelligent ever comes out"? My Spanish is a little rusty so I have misplaced a lot of vocabulary. Oh wait, its coming to me. The word is Hugo Chavez!

I don't normally read the news but today I did. I laughed when I read my favorite whipping boy's latest rant. Aside from the obvious, what is wrong with the president of Venezuela? He's threatening to stop sending oil to the US again and this time its because he got his hand slapped ($12 billion in assets frozen) for taking something that wasn't his in the first place (2 joint projects with Exxon Mobil).

I'm not an expert in all things oil but my family works in the industry so I do know the basics.

First, we only import 10% of our oil from Venezuela. If its cut off, sure it would be unpleasant, more expensive but it would still be business as usual. Over time we would likely shift our import mix away from Venezuela. So, really, the threat would managed, then eliminated. Yawn.

Next, Venezuela derives 90% of its income from oil sales. And guess who is their biggest customer. Right, we are. Think they can just sell their oil to someone else at the same price, maybe some energy-starved country like China? Not exactly. Oil from Venezuela is lower quality crude that requires special refining. Outside of the US that refining infrastructure does not exist in many places. So, really, not selling to the US would be like not wanting an income. Good plan!

Lets not forget that Venezuela actually imports almost all of their food, so its not like they are self-sufficient in the resource department like say, Brazil. And we all know by now that their attempts at socialized farming have not really gone according to plan, lol. So, no oil sales, no food is the rough translation.

So, Hugo, lets review: We dont need you, you need us and you're sending us threats?

That makes no sense. All I can say is ¡Cállate!, you embarrass yourself and bore us with your childish theatrics.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chavez is a dimwit.

I liked his attempt at trying to pass a law where he would remain president/dictator/tyrant for life. Too bad that failed!

11:36 PM

 
Blogger ryan charisma said...

But at least now, everyone in Texas can legally own a dildo.

Amen.

9:55 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

I remember that stunt Jason. I guess the people realized they might have a kook in office :)

6:08 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Ryan, I'm not seeing the connection.

6:11 AM

 
Blogger ryan charisma said...

nevermind, I read in TX that it's now legal to own a dildo (wierd) and I thought of you.

8:46 AM

 
Blogger john said...

Dildos?

12:10 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Ryan, thats a little odd about the dildo but doesn't compare to some of the seriously irrational property ownership rules in this state.

4:19 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

I dunno John, maybe the dildo reference is Ryan's obtuse way of calling Chavez a dickhead? :)

4:20 PM

 
Blogger JC said...

I guess a dildo is made of plastic and plastic comes from oil? I guess you could still get a hypo-allergenic rubber one - rubber comes from trees...

anyway, on topic, we use to exclusively buy Citgo gasoline. There is a Citgo refinery in Corpus Christi, my home town and they were the cheapest. That all changed about 5 or 6 years ago. The first time I noticed Hugo ChappedAss. When I learned of the Venezuela commection between him and Citgo, I cut my Citgo card up and began boycotting the company. A number of the 7-11 stores actually quit carrying Citgo as their fuel provider here in Round Rock.
I know it is not without it drawbacks on my old hometown, but I did what my conscience said was right -boycott the assh--- and anything he touches.

11:00 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Aha, now I see the connection

Good for Round Rock, JC! I keep wondering when the Venezuelans will revolt and take him out.

9:20 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home