Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Family Update

I had an email from my cousin last night, everyone is Israel is fine. Ironcially one cousin gave birth right before the fighting started, another during. Middle cousin was actually delivering when a rocket hit a high school behind the hospital. I guess thats one way to speed the delivery raipdly along. Cousin Marnina wrapped up her newborn and headed out to another city. I guess youngest cousin is still expecting, still. Strangely youngest cousin may the safest of all, living in the West Bank. I never thought I write safe and West Bank together in one sentence.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger suzy said...

I am glad your family is still safe. And you have new family! Mazel Tof!

10:23 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Thanks Suzy! When this round of ugliness is over I will probably go visit the new additions! :)

8:10 PM

 
Blogger Michael said...

Jim, I'm glad to hear that your Israeli clan is doing well.

7:31 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Michael, thanks. I was glad to hear they were safe (particularly the new additions!).

Do you think Israel will turn its attention to S. Lebanon after the Gaza op is completed?

9:43 AM

 
Blogger Michael said...

New additions are always great to have!

Nope, I don't think that Israel will do anything overt in S Lebanon. A number of reasons:

1) the Gaza op will take a while.

2) elections are around the corner (10 Feb)

3) as long as Hezbollah reigns in the rockets, there's no reason to do anything overt

4) Israel wants to reestablish deterrence, and the best way to do that is by crushing an enemy. Hamas is currently the most crushable.

5) no one in the North wants a repeat of 2006. our problem wasn't with the Army's capabilities; it was with the home front's unpreparedness. honestly, too much of the Northern home front is still not prepared.

6) the real enemy in the North is Syria, and the proper way to deal with them is to make it clear that they will not ever have the Golan again. Ever. We can't do that until after the election. Once that is done, the North will take care of itself.

2:03 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Michael, thanks for the explanation. I hope the Gaza Op sets the desired example.

6:19 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home