Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Sunday, January 11, 2009

A Little Israel In Texas

Today The Ladies and I went to try a new restaurant. I've been wanting to try this place since I moved to Houston. There are many Kosher restaurants here, if only because the Jewish community is so large, but, to my knowledge there is only one Kosher (Dairy) restaurant run by Israeli's. Its called Saba.

I'll eat almost anything but The Ladies both have specific tastes. Luckily Saba's menu had something that appealed to everyone: Shakshuka, Hummous, (your mom's) Egg Salad, Bourekas, and the incredibly addictive מלאווח‎ (Malawach) Pizza! If you have never had Malawach Pizza, you need to find the closest Kosher Dairy restaurant run by Israeli's and try it. Malawach Pizza is like a 100 layers of what I would consider phyllo dough, fried, then topped with cheese and spices (and probably other things but we opted for cheese).

Having been a complete Shakshuka (egg dish with spicy tomato, onion, pepper sauce) nut while I toured Tel Aviv, Be'er Sheva and Jerusalem, I'm clearly a self-appointed expert. I've tried it in a couple of places back in the States, even went so far as to make it myself. Good, but Saba's is better, more reminiscent of the dish I had all over Israel.

Hummous is thick and creamy, light on the garlic, heavy on the tahini. Pita are apparently hand made and fresh. Of course, all plates come with the obligatory Israeli salad of chopped cucumbers and tomatoes ( lemon juice and olive oil are at the table).

I found the service to be friendly, efficient and very comfortable. The atmosphere, well, its casual - very casual. Saba's is located in a non-descript stip mall south of a very dingy part of Fondren. I took pictures of the outside but I wont post them since it does nothing for the experience of the wonderful food on the inside.

Saba's was moderately busy on a Sunday afternoon, a steady stream of people came in for a noon-time sit down meal or ordered Malawach to go. Note that you will hear almost exclusively Hebrew conservations from the patrons here, however English comes easily for those manning the counter.

Lunch for 3 with enough to take away came to under $30, which we found more than reasonable.

We all loved this place and it might become a Sunday ritual.

Saba's Kosher Kitchen
9704 Fondren Road
Houston, TX 77096
713-270-7222

(note: they are closed from Fri 3p to Sun 9a for Sabbath)

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger WomanHonorThyself said...

sounds yummy!

10:00 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Yes, Woman, it is. I need to bike more miles to compensate for the Malawach :)

6:22 AM

 
Blogger suzy said...

I am now going to see if I can find someplace for that pizza! It really does sound great. --I am going to the gym, so maybe I can have a little piece..

10:58 PM

 
Blogger john said...

I get hungry every time I read one of your restaurant reviews or read one of your recipes.

11:34 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Suzy, I'm sure you'll find it somewhere close. Its awesome and addictive :)

6:42 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

John, I only report the hunger worthy items :)

6:43 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home