Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Monday, July 11, 2005

Namaste

Got a few questions this AM. Sometimes you sign off your posts with "Namaste", what the heck does that mean?

Namaste is Hindu. It literally means "I bow to you." Figuratively it means "You and I are equals." This is, of course, my interpretation as a white boy. I obviously do not have the life experience in Hindu ways to give an authentic defintion.

A lot of times I sign off that way in comments to people to let them know I think of them as equals; no better, no worse, just human.

I could write volumes about why I gravitated towards Buddhism in my late teens but I'll save that for some other post. It works for me, its a good path for me. I'm not a good Buddhist but thats really not the point.

I'm on a path and I like where its going.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

Agreeing with you re: Asian cultures!

50 days in India? You never cease to surprise me Sam.

1:56 PM

 
Blogger Brettcajun said...

Very interesting. You are a sponge of information!

6:31 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Yes Brett, and some of it, on occasion, is actually useful information :)

9:55 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Sam,

lol, the savings on toilet paper!

India suprises me since it isnt a popular destination for Americans. We'll have to chat about you experiences there sometime.

8:02 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Namaste is a little more than than "I bow to you". Its deeper meaning is "I salute the divinity within you". By using the greeting "Namaste", you are acknowledging the Buddha nature and the potential of each person you greet to become fully realised. And yes, because each of us has that divine spark and potential, we are equal and one. :-)

2:32 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home