Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Sunday, October 21, 2007

Fight The Powers

Busy boy. So busy I have not kept up with the news much lately. Of course, as Michael pointed out in his blog today, sometimes we have to wonder why we do.

I tried to catch up a little this afternoon with my news sources here in the States, Israel, Russia, Pakistan, India and the UK. (Yeah, I'm probably on some government watch list with that lineup, lol)

First, former PM of Pakistan Bhutto was greeted after 8 years of exile to a lovely surprise on her return to re-enter the Pakistani race. The worst suicide bombing in Pakistan's history, 140 people killed.

Was it her pro-democracy vision? Was it her pro-West stance? Was it the scandals surrounding her former regime? (what regime doesnt have those?). Or maybe just because she is a woman? Who knows, these people seem to kill because its their only talent.

Now we have presidential candidate (snicker, snicker) Huckabee telling us that our next terrorist attack in the US will probably be launched from Pakistan. No time frame, mind you, and definitely no proof of cause, just intuition, I suppose. He warns us that we have become too complacent and that we think "everything is OK there".

Um, thanks Huckabee, I think we are all crystal freaking clear that things are not OK there.

Cheney says the US will not tolerate a nuclear Iran.

Thanks Dick. No country should "tolerate" a nuclear Iran. With 40% unemployment, growing poverty and an inabilty to lay down basic infrastructure (like getting energy from their oil stash to their citizens), I kind of think the Iranian people will take down their own government.


The "Palestinians" who tried to kill Israel's PM were released, then brought back in, and who knows, maybe released again. All this after the PA agreed the assassination attempt was from within, only to turn 180 to deny it and claim that Israel made it up.

Someone please tell me I missed something here.

Out of control fires in Malibu.

Wow - fires, mudslides, earthquakes and million dollar tear downs. Why do people live there again?

More educators sexually abusing students.

2500 out of 3 million educators had their licenses revoked for this since 2000. Its a small percentage, well, until it affects someone you know.

I stopped reading the news at this point. I opened a nice bottle of Pinot, poured a glass, sipped and plugged in a movie. It was an interesting choice, one I had been meaning to see since it came out in 1988. Funny to watch it now almost 20 years later - so 80's - bright colors, spandex, those odd "tatoo" hair cuts, big hair, bigger boom boxes and G-d fobid, LEGGINS! lol



Still, as I watched it, I thought Spike Lee really hit it right on almost 20 years ago. This, I think his best, or at least his most socially relevant film is still a current commentary on tension caused by differences. Today's tensions might not be the black-white-brown tension of a racially charged Brooklyn neighborhood but the theme still applies.

MLK and Malcolm X references throughout in combination with the Public Enemy song that plays over and over in different contexts, still seem appropriate today, if only to speak to moderation and common sense. The problem seems to be that these ideas only speak to those who are moderate and sensible in the first place.


Whats to be done? Hell, I dont know, just pick which side your on, pour another glass, take another sip and - fight the powers that be.

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger steve'swhirlyworld said...

I know, the news is exhausting. There has to be a nice balance, which I haven't found, between being in denial and knowledgable...

7:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes you wonder what is going right in the world, when all you hear about are the wrongs. Ugh.

I like your idea of Pinot, and more Pinot. You should check out Spikes earlier film, "She's Gotta Have It". I think it was his first, and was pretty decent too.

Fight the Power, Jim!

10:16 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Right Steve, I'm sure the balance exists somewhere but being informed seems to go together with being exhausted by the information!

6:05 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Oh, I fought it alright Jason :) I'll definitely check out the earlier Spike!

BTW, Hook & Ladder Pinot is a great inexpensive "balancing agent" :)

6:11 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll drink to that...

4:43 PM

 
Blogger Michael said...

Nice comments on the news, there.
It's fun, getting the sarcasm on, isn't it?

4:00 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

And make yours a Caipirihna too Sangroncito!

7:50 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Yes, Michael - fun and necessary. If I didnt look at it with sarcasm, I'd go mad. (Oh, might be too late :)

7:51 PM

 
Blogger Michael said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:13 PM

 
Blogger Michael said...

Oh, might be too late

And that, of course, is why we blog!

2:31 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Michael, lol, definitely one of the leading factors! :)

5:54 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home