Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Sunday, October 28, 2007

Safety and Fear




When I first started planning my trip to Middle East I was expecting the typical "Oh my G-d, I can't believe you are going to such a dangerous place" reactions. I was not disappointed. No matter how much I quoted statistics about how it was more likely to be killed while driving on a Dallas freeway (10x more dangerous, actually) than to visit Israel for 10 days, they could not be convinced. I think the culprit is the usual negativity slathered on TV addicts by a drama-driven media focused on the region.

Funny that I didn't get that reaction when I went to Brazil or Mexico, countries where an American tourist is 25x more likely to be the victim of a violent crime. By that I mean killed. But then there isn't ongoing press coverage of crime in those areas.

On the other hand I was also surprised at how many people wanted to come with me. I actually had to narrow it down to two. We three share the same philosophy - we'd rather go out doing what we want to do than live a safe life limited by fear.

Zeh mah yesh.

With that I bid you shalom and I'll see you mid November!

Yallah bye!

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is the risk you cannot afford to take, and there is the risk you cannot afford not to take.

I know you'll have a great time. I cannot wait to hear about your adventures upon your return!

10:36 PM

 
Blogger suzy said...

Have a wonderful time, stay aware.I will enjoy reding all about it when you get back!
Suzy

12:22 AM

 
Blogger ryan charisma said...

Bon Voyage!

I hope you get to kiss some hot mens.

You deserve it.

9:27 AM

 
Blogger john said...

Have a good trip!

10:51 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Travel Safe, My Friend. We are headed for Vacaville for the winter..
DC Mom

9:00 PM

 
Blogger steve'swhirlyworld said...

YEAH!!!! the day is here. Safe travel Jim. Come back wiser and more fulfilled.

9:23 PM

 
Blogger Michael said...

Have a good trip, enjoy yourself, and like any tourist in a foreign country, stay safe.

Of course, we're all expecting pictures when you get back.

2:37 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy travels!

7:37 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Yay, I made it back. Of course the next few weeks will be nothing but Israel posts :)

6:57 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home